Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I am a Ballet Dancer

Yes, believe it or not. I take ballet lessons. Here's the funny part. Until last year, I had never taken a ballet class in my entire life, all 43 years. Last fall, my daughter's dance studio had a poster up for an Adult Intermediate Ballet Class that meets during the day. I have always dreamed of taking dance lessons, but certainly I am way past my prime. Did I tell you it also said you should have experience. So I ask at the desk if watching my children dance for the past 9 years counts as experience. The girl was sweet and said,"sure go for it." Well I contacted the teacher and she said I could come and try out one class and see what I thought. So I borrowed my daughters dance slippers and off I went to my first ballet class.

Can I tell you what I did that first lesson would not be what I would call ballet. The hippos from Fantasia definitely were much more graceful than I was, but I was hooked. I love ballet. So I jumped in head first, I bought my own tights, ballet slippers and even picked up a leotard at a mom to mom sale, so I could look authentic.

When I have told friends I decided to take a ballet class, their reactions are humorous. Quite a few are like, "way to go! I have always wanted to take a class." Others ask if I am going to participate in the recital, because they would pay money to see me in a tutu. My oldest daughters best friend's reaction is probably my favorite. She has told her mom that she (the mom) better not do what Aunt Denise is doing to Danielle. The horror of it all, that her mom would even think about doning a leotard and be seen out in public.

I have so enjoyed this past year taking the class. The teacher has been fantastic and encouraging. She always finds at least one thing that I have done during the 1 1/2 hour class. That was quite a feat, because for quite a while, I was only doing one thing correctly. The other students are all experienced, most have been dancing for years. Yet, they encourage me and explain things when I don't quite get it. I love it.

The other reason I love it, is that they have accepted me with all my inadaquacies. My clumsy moves and my lack of knowledge and grace. But they encourage me to press on and continue the quest of becoming a ballerina. Isn't it that way with God. He accepts you right where you are. With all your shortcomings, but He doesn't let you stay there. He builds strength and endurance through your lifetime of challenges.

So next time you see a ballerina, think of me, but more important. Dwell on how God has accepted you and moved you beyond what you thought you were capable of handling.

2 comments:

Nise' said...

Good for you!!
I saw your comment on The Siesta Summer Bible Study post at The LPM Blog and wanted to stop by and say hello and "meet" another blogger from Michigan.

Kelli said...

One of these days I'm so gonna do to Kaylee what you are doing to Danielle. Cuz while I absolutely would pay money to see you in a tutu- I'm totally jealous that you get to take the class.