Monday, June 30, 2008

Queasy feelings in the hospital

During my surgery, they had to place a drainage tube in my stomach to take out the additional fluids that my body was producing after surgery. Now anyone who knows me, knows I do not have a strong stomach for that type of thing. (I passed out watching a movie about giving blood when I was a senior in High School.) So everyday I would ask the surgeon when she would come in and check up on me, "When can we take this thing that is hanging out of stomach out?" To which she would reply, "After you have tolerated solid food and had a bowel movement." Okay, something to work toward. I am a goal oriented person. I can do this. So we started down that long road. I'm thinking, "how long should this take? I should be able to breeze through this process one to two days tops. Besides, I have been the model patient, doing what they tell me to do." Yeah. Well, it takes a llllllllllloooooooooooooooottttttttttt longer that I think it should and my patience with this thing hanging out by stomach is really starting to bother me. Then it occurs to me. Heah, I wonder how they get this thing out. I promptly ask the surgeon the next morning to which she replies, "Oh, we distract you." This gets me to thinking, I wonder how they distact me. I'm thinking I would notice my mid-drift laying bare and someone towering over my body to pull a tube out. Maybe they say, look at the little birdie with their hand up in the air mimicking a bird. Maybe they tackle you in the middle of the hallway and yank it out as you stroll by. Maybe they hit you somewhere else so as to not notice the pain coming from the abdomen. Well when all was said and done. The pain was short lived and I didn't faint. This is a plus for me. Of course Andy had promptly left the room when this little procedure was going on. I am just thankful and happy to not have to deal with the tube anymore.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

I'm still bummed you didn't call me to watch!

beckyjomama said...

The hallway scenario seems like it would be the most entertaining to watch ... for everyone except the patient. And maybe Andy.

Anyhoo - that made me laugh!!!

So glad you are feeling better!

Aron and Erica said...

You are too cute! I'm so glad you are tube-free and feeling better!